Wednesday, May 1, 2013

Top O' the Morning to You...

Green Smoothie

Eating for health means we choose foods that are high on the nutrition scale as many places as we can each day. One way I like to increase my intake of greens, which are about the highest on the list of nutrient dense foods, is by having a green smoothie. There are myriads of recipes out there for these green wonders, and you can experiment with what fruits you like best in smoothies. Here is my present favorite green smoothie recipe, inspired by some friends our family visited in Oklahoma this winter (they had kale growing in their greenhouse in January!):
 
Heather and Holly's Green Smoothie
 
Into a VitaMix or powerful blender place:
1 rounded T orange/pineapple juice concentrate
3 c filtered water
2 frozen banana halves
Then lightly pack roughly chopped kale leaves into the blender jar
Blend til smooth.
Add:
1 c frozen strawberries
1 c frozen mango
 
Blend til smooth. Enjoy a pint now and refrigerate the rest in pint jars til later
(up to 3 days, if it lasts that long!)
 
I usually have this first thing in the morning, then I go do my exercise, then I have a
protein smoothie after my exercise and shower
 (usually while giving spelling words to the boy! and blogging)


No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to leave me a comment or a question. I enjoy interacting with my readers.