Saturday, May 11, 2013

Spanish Rice...

Brown Rice




 


Here is a recipe I tried this evening, and it was D.E.L.I.S.H.


Spanish Rice

Into a large skillet place a few T vegetable broth or olive oil. Dump into heated liquid:
 

1 large yellow or red onion
1 c chopped mushrooms
1 c chopped celery
Saute til onions are starting to get tender. Add 2 or 3 cloves pressed garlic. Stir and add
2 c brown rice
 
Stir occasionally 4 minutes.
 
In a crockpot place 4 c chicken stock (or vegetable stock)
1 rounded T tomato paste
1 t sea salt
1/4 t black pepper
1 rounded T taco seasoning or chili powder
1 t oregano
 
Stir, then add the rice to the liquid in crockpot. Toss to coat. Cook on high 4 hours or until rice is soft.
 
Here is what I had my rice with:
 
 
Mmm... Pico de Gallo
Fresh Pico De Gallo
 
2 c diced tomatoes
1/2 small red onion, diced
2 cloves garlic, pressed
juice of 1 or 2 limes
1/2 sea salt
a few pinches black pepper
1/4 c fresh cilantro, chopped
 
Place in a pretty clear glass bowl, toss to coat and enjoy over the Spanish Rice and Refried Beans.




Turkey Chili w/ Black Beans
Aunt Cia's Refried Beans
 
In a few T veg broth or water place 1 red or yellow onion, diced
Saute until onion is tender, then add 2 cloves garlic, pressed
Stir and heat for another minute or so. Then add 2 c canned black beans (kidney beans work, too). Mash and turn beans as you heat them, then sprinkle with 1 t salt, 1 rounded T taco seasoning and 1/4 t black pepper.

I loved my Spanish rice, fresh salsa and refried beans. It was tops! Some of my family had greens in place of the salsa, not caring for cilantro like I do.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to leave me a comment or a question. I enjoy interacting with my readers.