Saturday, May 4, 2013

How Does Your Garden Grow?

I was privileged to learn alot of good things from my Mother as I was growing up. She always made home cooked meals (although not with the understanding of nutrition that I wish she would have), and in summer, we always grew our own food to preserve for winter.

I am so glad that I know how to grow my own food. I am glad that I know how to harvest and preserve the food in ways that provide good foods for winter for my family. This not only helps me to know where my food has come from, but it also helps me to be kind to my husband's wallet.

I grow basic stuff like green beans, corn, tomatoes, onions, red beets, and greens...romaine, kale, spinach, cress, and herbs like dill, basil, cilantro, sage, parsley and oregano. We grow potatoes, peppers and squash. All stuff I can dehydrate, freeze or can for winter months.

Then in the winter, I use them and buy greens and raw veggies and some fruits to make our meals.

I put up peaches, blueberries, raspberries and sometimes cherries in the summer from local orchards and gardeners. This is a huge savings and some of the easiest foods to preserve as there is only the washing and (in the case of peaches) the peeling. We use the fruits in smoothies, oatmeal, wholesome cobblers, crumbles and sorbets.

Just the other day, we got into our garden for the first time this season. We put out some green beans, redbeets, corn (yes, I took a chance at it!), and onions. My daughter did a row of flower seeds, all the while dreaming of the bouquets she will bring for my table this summer.



 



Earlier this spring, I planted some pots of edibles...kale, romaine, dill, garlic chives and some red-tipped lettuce seeds forgotten from last growing season. They are coming up very nicely, and I am dreaming already of the salads and smoothies they will make. Some of the romaine may even find it's way with redbeets, apples, celery, cukes and ginger into a totally delectable wine-colored juice that it's so fabulous both for the body and the tastebuds!



It doesn't take alot of ground to grow food. I know some people who do hydroponics, some people do aeorponics which look like fun. I just do it the old-fashioned, farm girlish way and plant in a piece of earth at the edge of my back yard. My whole family gets out and works in the garden about one evening a week in summer, a good project for us to be involved in together.




 



We have alot of fun dreaming of homemade ketchup, taco soup (which includes corn, green peppers and tomatoes from our garden), vegetable soup (which includes carrots, onions, corn, potatoes, green beans and tomatoes from our garden), and zucchini bread on cold winter days when the snowdrifts cover our sleeping garden.


Then, too is some really, really fun gardening, of which much credit goes to my good friend Judy. Her love of snow-on-the-mountain, shasta daisies, coneflower, and black eyed susans, besides the gorgeous container gardens she has helped me plant over the years has awakened the gardener in me in many ways. I often think of you, dear friend, when I see my flowers. Thank you.



If you don't know how to garden or don't feel that you have the time to garden, don't stress out too badly. It may come later or you may just enjoy going to farmer's market and neighbors who have surplus. I am told that CSA's may be a good option, too for those who don't garden on their own.

Blessings to you.
To health~
Marcia

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to leave me a comment or a question. I enjoy interacting with my readers.