Friday, May 3, 2013

My Favorite Way to Eat Green Beans

Green Bean
I recently added Dr. Fuhrman's new DVD, "Eating Like a Nutritarian" to my library. It is a good one to have as a basic outline of why these foods are good for us and how to use them in cooking. Simple, basic foods like whole grains, many different vegetables, fruits, nuts and seeds. As he was talking, standing in front of produce displays, I had to think again (as I often have since I started eating more plant foods) how COLORFUL these foods are! They seem to beg to be eaten!


Here is a dish I plan to make for my family today:

My Favorite Way to Eat Green Beans
 
Heat 1 c vegetable broth or water in a large skillet.
Add 1 large yellow or red onion
1 or 2 c chopped bella mushrooms
1 c chopped sweet peppers
(red or yellow or orange make this dish colorful)
Stir fry til veggies are crisp/tender.
Add 3 or 4 cloves pressed garlic and stir.
Add 2 qu green beans, 1 T soy sauce (reduced sodium),
and a sprinkle of Adobo (optional).
Toss and cover. Cook on medium, stirring periodically til
beans are desired tenderness.
 
Menu idea:
 
My Favorite Way to Eat Green Beans
A Large Garden Salad
Baked Sweet Potatoes topped with Almond Cream
(recipe following)
 
1 cup raw almonds
(I would soak them a few hr first)
1 1/4 tsp smoked paprika
1 clove garlic crushed
3 tbsp fresh squeezed lemon juice
1/2 cup filtered water
2 tbsp olive oil
1/2 tsp celtic sea salt
optional; pinch of cayenne pepper

Method
Combine above ingredients in blender and combine til creamy and smooth,
adding 1-2 tbsp additional water for consistency only if needed.
 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to leave me a comment or a question. I enjoy interacting with my readers.