Thursday, May 2, 2013

Mediterranean Burgers

I learned from several sources a valuable tip that I pass along to you, my friends:

Don't just remove (addiction producing foods such as excessive amounts of meats, dairy, sugar, oil and salt) but replace it with something better. This way, you still feel like you are getting some of the foods you once enjoyed, only with more nutrition while not feeding addictions. (more about this coming later)

One thing I have learned to make (in several versions, more of which I will post in future) is bean burgers. These lovely wonders are a good way to serve plant-based protein to our families.

 


 
Mediterranean Burgers
 
In a few T. vegetable broth or water, saute 
1 large onion
When onion is half tender, add
1 c. finely diced mushrooms
1 c finely diced peppers
Saute until veggies are tender, then add
3 cloves pressed garlic
Stir and saute another minute.
Add 1 quart chickpeas
(I can my own; if using store bought ones, drain and rinse first)
Smash beans lightly with back of turner or a fork.
Add:
1 T dried dill weed
1 T salt (optional or as desired)
1 t black pepper
1 T ground fennel seeds
1 t ground chipotle pepper (optional)
Stir and heat through.
Scrape bean mixture into a mixing bowl.
Add 2 cups rolled oats and 1 c. Kalamata olives.
Let sit 1/2 hr or more til oats have absorbed liquid and mixture has cooled.
Form into 8 or 9 large balls. Dredge with whole grain flour, pressing lightly as you dredge.
Spray a heated frying pan with olive oil, place burgers onto pan, flattening them with the
palm of your hand. Turn after a few minutes and fry til crispy.
 
Enjoy as you would a meat burger. These are great with organic dill relish,
sliced tomatoes, hummus (in place of mayo), green leaves of lettuce,
whole grain sandwich thins, sliced onion, and ketchup and mustard.
 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to leave me a comment or a question. I enjoy interacting with my readers.