Wednesday, May 29, 2013

Homemade Laraballs

American Larabar vs French Canadian Larabar

A number of months ago, I was introduced to Lara Bars. They are a convenient, healthy snack food for a purse or when one is out and about buying groceries, and hungry enough to buy foods that will not build good health...
There are many flavors and they are all with  no added sugars or other non-whole foods.
Usually date and nut based, they are delicious!
 
My one pick with them is the price.
It is kind of an expensive pick me up when for 20 minutes of
little work, my daughter can whip up a batch of these babies
for a fraction of the cost
(considering that I buy many of my foods in bulk).
 
So here are three of our favorite flavors.
We call them Laraballs because we roll them into balls
instead of having them be flat bars as sold in stores.
 
Enjoy them!
 
Cherry Pie
(my all time favorite)
1 c almonds
1 c pitted medjool dates
1 c dried cherries
1 t vanilla
 
 
Chocolate Chip Brownie
 
1 cup mixed almonds and walnuts
1 c pitted medjool dates
1 cup dark chocolate chips
(I used dairy free chips from nuts.com)
1/4 c cacao powder
 
Chocolate Coconut
 
1 c mixed almonds and walnuts
1 c pitted medjool dates
1 c unsweetened shredded coconut
4 T cacao powder
 
 
For all recipes:
 
1. Grind the nuts in a food processor until they medium-coarse size.
2. Add other ingredients and pulse grind until combined. Sometimes we need to add a bit of water if it is too dry but only a T at a time.
 
3. Shape into small balls.
 
PS...
The cherry ones are totally delectable on their own, but made even more delectable
when dipped in dark, lightly sweetened chocolate. Sprinkle with shredded coconut and freeze.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to leave me a comment or a question. I enjoy interacting with my readers.