Saturday, June 29, 2013

Kickstart Your Health...





Dr. Neal Barnard has a wonderful way of teaching for simple folks like me who want to know about plant-based eating. So does Dr. Fuhrman. And Dr. John McDougall. And others. I appreciate all the things they have taught me over the years, and what is great is that most of their things line up with each others', Dr. Fuhrman's topping them all (in my humble opinion) for his push to get the micronutrients into our bodies. Micronutrients are best found in greens and other veggies high in nutrients (not potatoes; they make good 'stick to the ribs' foods).

But back to Dr. Barnard. You might find his kickstart program to be a nice idea to cleanse your body of junk and to help get you started on a road of better eating habits. His idea is the 'little picture' in the hopes that you get a good start and just continue after 3 weeks of eating plant-based. I think he's on to something.

Here is what he proposes:
3 weeks of plant-based foods
as many whole foods as possible, meaning not much sugar or oil and no animal products

So what is there to eat if you take out meat, sugar and dairy? Oh, my! the possibilities are endless! Shall I give you some examples? I'd love to. I think I'll try to post a sample menu each day for the coming week. See if you won't get excited about trying a 3 week plant-based meal plan. You might decide it is doable!

So for today, here is the first menu. Recipes are below the menu.

Breakfast
1 large green smoothie
or fruit and 'yogurt' parfait (layer fresh fruit, good-for-you granola and soy or coconut yogurt)

Snack
a handful of almonds
apple

Lunch
whole grain wrap spread with hummus or avocado
layered with lettuce, onion, sprouts, shredded carrots, peppers, tomatoes and olives
drizzled with ranch dressing and 'wrapped'
eat the second wrap if you are still hungry
a piece of fruit, if desired

Dinner
Large Garden Salad with Ranch Dressing
Spaghetti and "Sausage"
My Favorite Way to Eat Green Beans


photo credit: Sunny Raw Kitchen
recipe for homemade ranch spices also can be found there

 
 
 
Ranch Dressing
 
1 cup low fat mayo
(or 1/2 c cashews blended with 1/2 c water)
1 c plant-based milk mixed with
1 T lemon juice or vinegar
2 T Penzey's buttermilk ranch seasoning mix
 
Mix together and refrigerate.
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Spaghetti and Sausage
 
for the sausage:
(I usually have this made ahead and in the freezer)
 
1 quart lentils, drained
1/2 c whole grain flour
Toss the lentils and flour together and mash slightly.
Add
1 T Italian Sausage seasoning
1 t salt
 
Spread onto a greased cookie sheet and bake at 300*
for several hours or until dry.
Cool and freeze.
 
 
Spaghetti
 
Cook 1 box whole grain spaghetti according to directions on box.
(I like Eden brand ancient grains)
Drain and toss with pasta sauce and sauteed onions, mushrooms, pepper and garlic.
 
Warm the sausage and serve alongside the spaghetti.
 
Enjoy your meal.
If you want dessert, eat some cold pineapples mixed with strawberries.
Or grapes and kiwi and melon.
Or any fruit of your choice.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to leave me a comment or a question. I enjoy interacting with my readers.