Saturday, June 29, 2013

Of Summer and Ice Cream...



strawberries

Humidity...it happens even here in the Fingerlakes in the summer, even though most days are pleasantly cool and breezy. Summer just seems to spell 'ice cream' and although we have not bought the traditional dairy, sugar filled ice cream for several years now, we certainly know pleasant replacements for it. I thought I would share some recipes with you that we enjoy in the summer time instead of ice cream as we used to know it.

Strawberry Coconut 'Frosty'
 
Into a 4 cup measure place
1 can coconut milk (like Thai Kitchen unsweetened)
2 c. almond or other plant based milk
1 t vanilla
Whisk together.
Into a Vitamix or powerful blender place
 
4 or 5 c frozen strawberries.
Pour the milk mixture over the berries.
Add 1/4 c sugar or maple syrup, if desired.
Blend til smooth.
 
Mango Peach Frosty
 
4 c coconut milk/almond milk/vanilla mixture poured over
2 cups frozen mango chunks
(I found awesome small chunks in 2 lb bags at Aldi in the seasonal freezer)
2-3 c frozen peaches
Blend until smooth.
 
 
Best smoothie: Passionfruit, pineapple, mango
 
 
We enjoy these so much we don't even miss ice cream
(not that ice cream is a must-have food by any means).
I certainly do not miss the sugar headaches and hangovers I used
to have when eating ice cream.
 
What about you.
 Do you
have a
favorite ice cream replacement
 to share?
 
 
Leave a comment and tell me about it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to leave me a comment or a question. I enjoy interacting with my readers.