Sunday, June 23, 2013

Roasted Broccoli...

A recipe on my menu for this coming week: recipe and photos credit of Girl Makes Food.
 
                                          
 
I find people often feel tempted to use frozen veggies to roast.  I have tried this with broccoli, just because I was curious what would happen (a normal curiosity, no?).  It will brown, but it also gets a little soggy, so if  you can deal with that go for it.  In a pinch I say its not the worst thing, but fresh is preferable in my book.

Health highlight of broccoli:  while broccoli may seem like a common, unremarkable veggie, it is actually a powerhouse of healthy stuff.  Broccoli contains a compound that has been shown to be effective in preventing certain cancers.  The nutrients in broccoli also help to promote and regulate detoxification in the body, which is fantastic.  Broccoli is also a strongly anti-inflammatory food.

Ingredients:
2 heads Broccoli (chopped)
1 tablespoon EV Olive Oil
Salt and Pepper (to taste)
Juice of 1/2 Lemon
Instructions:
  • Preheat the oven to 450 degrees
  • On a cookie sheet lined with parchment toss the broccoli with the oil, salt and pepper
  • Spread evenly in a single layer
  • Roast until the broccoli has browned in some areas
  • Squeeze the lemon juice over the broccoli
  • Serve and enjoy!!!
PS
I plan to enjoy my broccoli with an Asian sauce of some sort. My favorite right now is Sweet Chili Sauce (be sure to get it without MSG or it's 'cousins' like autolyzed yeast extract or torula yeast extract, etc).

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to leave me a comment or a question. I enjoy interacting with my readers.