Saturday, January 30, 2016

The Adventure...Week 2

It's been a great week. Full of hills and valleys for this lady who cares deeply about the brokenness in this old, sinful world, but God is faithful. I enjoyed a few days in PA with my sister, niece and daughter. And yet still I managed to enjoy my birthday present to myself: plant foods all the way.

Sunday:
Raspberry Chia Pudding with Tru-whip
Vegan Chili, Salad with Italian dressing
We had a fellowship lunch.
I took chili flavored with beef for my main dish,
then had a vegan version for myself. The dessert I took was compliant with my bd gift to myself.

At a bd party for my mother in the PM, I asked my sister-in-law to leave a
pretzel for me not dipped in butter, which she graciously did. I also enjoyed veggies
(there were more on the plate before I remembered to shoot a photo for the blog)
and a little fresh fruit.


Monday:
Grapefruit/spinach salad. YUM!
Corn and Limas 
I have tried, over the past few years, to eat only when hungry. So far, that means for me that I do not eat in the AM til about 11:00. It seems to work for me. It doesn't work this way for every one and I am not in any way saying it should. I just try to follow Dr. Fuhrman's recommendation to eat only when hungry. So that means I eat about 2 meals a day, with maybe a smallish snack/meal. Just thought I'd add that in case you wonder where my 'breakfast' is. And to me, anymore, all plant food is food for any meal. I am not a 'must have eggs/pancakes/granola for breakfast' gal, especially since I went plant-based.


Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday
 are not as documented because I 
was out of town with my sister.

Spinach and grapefruit salad made a yummy addition to
toasted 'sprouted wheat' bagels with almond cheese
for breakfast in the hotel.
 I tried to take some pictures, but well, 
I didn't succeed
 in it all the way. 
I was wowed to come  home and see I had lost a pound,
 even tho I ate bagels, a bread bowl with chili and a veggie sub from Subway. 

My super awesome big sis
made me some super awesome
whole grain bread bowls to go
with the vegan chili I brought.













Not a food related picture, I know, but I couldn't resist adding it
because this is what I saw much of Tues, Wed and Thurs. 

Friday:
I enjoyed a green smoothie with
ginger kombucha for breakfast

Here's a current favorite green smoothie recipe:

(makes 2 quarts, plenty to share!)

1 can Thai kitchen coconut milk 
2 T orange juice concentrate
3/4 avocado 
(I freeze them in fourths)
Fill the 8 cup blender jar with greens
(not packed tho)
add a cup or two of water
Blend smooth.
Add 2 cup frozen mango
2 c frozen pineapple
(I would also add some blueberries
if I have them)

Blend smooth.
Refrigerate for up to three days.


One of my favorite meals 
is mashed potatoes 
a few oven fries. Yesterday I was not very hungry.
topped with 
cucumber/tomato salad. 
It made a fabulous lunch 
this day after cleaning 
the house, thanks to 
leftover mashed potatoes
already in the fridge.





Saturday:

Well, today was a day to be sickish. I guess I need a day of rest. Here's what I had today, kind of leftover from yesterday. I will crawl into bed for a nap and enjoy quiet.

mashed potatoes and tomato/cuke salad
green smoothie with
ginger kombucha

I am enjoying eating this way.
I find I have great energy,
don't struggle with any
of that phlegm that
is soon present if I eat 
dairy,
and certainly do 
not lack for 
interesting and wonderful foods to eat!

I close with a quote:

“Open heart-surgery is radical. Eating oatmeal and potatoes is not radical.”:









(eating plants for one full year),
I find it an amazing journey, even tho
I'm just one week into it.
I do this to cross it off my 'bucket list'
but also to honor my dad who is
doing a doctor-prescribed plant-based diet
for his cancer,
and to show others how fun it can be
to eat food from the Garden.

Love and blessings to all,
Marcia


2 comments:

  1. Justfound your blog.I find it encourages me as I start back on this lifestyle again after many years yoyo dieting.Now that I'm 45 I feel its much needed.Love your meals! We eat veggie subs too on the go! :) Do you take a green powder and carrot juice?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello, Mary! So nice to interact with you! I hope you can continue to find healing in simple, nutritious eating. I love eating this way.

    In response to your question about greens and carrot juice. I have done both in years gone by and I know there are many wonderful options out there. The one that I chose in recent years that I love more than anything I've ever used as a whole food 'boost' is Juice Plus. Have you ever heard of it? You can find information out about it here: http://marciazimmerman.juiceplus.com/content/JuicePlus/en.html

    ReplyDelete

Feel free to leave me a comment or a question. I enjoy interacting with my readers.