Saturday, January 23, 2016

The Adventure: Week One

If you recall, I shared in this post my birthday present to my self: eating only plants from my 40th birthday til my 41st birthday. As I passed the Great Divide between the thirties and the forties this week, I have begun my adventure as well. So far, it's working great. As I promised to document my journey with photos, I've been trying to remember to take pictures of what I've been eating.

I kicked off the adventure with a breakfast green juice
mixed with ginger kombucha, thanks to my dear friend,
Marie who juiced it for me.


a beautiful edible arrangement,
thanks to my sisters!

On my birthday, I was surprised by two of my sisters-in-law who chose to make the day about me! They took me out to P. F. Chang's for lunch and I enjoyed having great options on the menu for my adventure.
sharing 'good girl moonshine' to celebrate 40 yrs for me

Coconut stir-fried veggies with a bit of fried rice,
courtesy of P.F. Chang's and my sisters 
Green bean crispers,  not a treat to eat every day
because of the oil, but enjoyed on my birthday
from P.F. Chang's





















My sweet daughter, Brenna made me
a Starbucks copycat lemon cake for my birthday cake
I enjoyed it with coconut vanilla chia pudding













Vanilla Chia Pudding

1 can Thai Kitchen unsweetened coconut milk
1 can soy milk or milk of choice
Aunt Cia's green smoothies were
ordered for breakfast before they
started their trek home to PA
then there was the 2 slices of whole wheat bread
that I ate with some Earth Balance on the morning after
my bd. I mean, who can pass that up if someone bakes
it specially for you?!
2 T maple syrup or sweetener of choice

1 T vanilla extract 
pinch salt
scant 1/2 c white chia seeds
Mix all together except seeds. Sprinkle seeds as  you 
slowly whisk them in. Cover and refrigerate four hours 
or overnite.

then there was a bd party to go to 1 1/2 hr away
I made it work by packing some soup for on the way home.
















I finished up the week by eating 'lightly fried'
 potatoes with guacamole for Saturday brunch.
and later in the day, some more birthday cake.
I know that I will add
more greens to my
diet as the normal
in the weeks to come.

This week was not quite 
normal, with birthday 
celebrations, etc
but I made it work
and I do not plan
to stress out about
raw versus cooked
veggies,
starch versus non starch,
etc.

I plan to on a normal basis
set up my plate so that
there is a good mix of
raw veggies,
steamed veggies,
healthy starches
(we're not talking donuts here!)
nuts, seeds, etc.

So far, I'm having a grand time.

Of course, it would be tempting
to dive into the beef flavored chili
the family will be having tomorrow at fellowship lunch, but
I made my own version for me with crumbled tofu in it. 
Stay tuned for pics next week.

PS
This was a three day post.
Thursday, Friday and Saturday.

PSS
This adventure has also received a new reason to do it:
in honor of my dad who has cancer and is doing a
doctor-prescribed plant-based diet as part of the
healing process for that.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to leave me a comment or a question. I enjoy interacting with my readers.