Wednesday, September 18, 2013

The Food Pyramid...

If you are from my generation and older, you very likely have been taught nutritional 'balance' from the food pyramid that looks like this:

 
 
 
But that is a bit 'off'. I understand that this pyramid was produced
to give business to the meat and dairy industry,
but it has not stood the test well as we look around us
at the diseases that have increased along with the teaching of this
eating style.
 
As I said yesterday, I am not a vegan.
I am not against eating meat and dairy in moderation,
moderation NOT meaning once a day, but more like
two or three times a week in moderate portions
like for flavoring a bean stew, or something similar.
 
When I began studying nutrition, I was given this food pyramid
which makes much more sense, given that our bodies actually
fuel themselves the best from whole, raw plant sources.
 
Check out this pyramid from my favorite doctor,
Dr. Joel Fuhrman:




I love my veggies!
And I love what they have done in healing me,
and thousands of people who were worse off than I was!

Random thought:

Check out the first food plan,
given in Genesis 1:29.


So the idea with Dr Fuhrman's pyramid is that
you eat a large salad (or its equivalent) at every meal
and then fill in with whole grains (sparingly),
potatoes (russet, red and sweet, preferably),
and cooked vegetables.
About a cup of beans in some form every day is a
 good source of protein.
For dessert, or a snack later, eat whole fruit.

Fruit juices as a whole are not good for you
to consume in large amounts.
I only consume fruit juice as an addition to vegetable juice
in the form of Juice Plus once or twice a day.

Whole plant foods are easy on the body,
and give it the fuel it needs to produce healthy cells.

Did you know that 50,000 of the cells in your body
will die and be replaced with new cells,
all while you have been reading this sentence?!
That's a lot of cells to maintain and fuel with clean fuel!

I encourage everyone to read up and learn how to protect
this wonderful gift of health that our Maker has given us!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to leave me a comment or a question. I enjoy interacting with my readers.