Friday, September 27, 2013

Secret Ingredient Beef Stew...

Ah, the season of soup has arrived. I love stew in many flavors. This week, I made this beef stew and we enjoyed it very much. I especially enjoyed the no-fuss way of making this in the crockpot overnite and waking up to its wonderful aroma filling the kitchen when we woke the next morning. (oh, but then we had to wait til lunch time to eat it!)
 
 
Secret Ingredient
Beef Stew
 
Into a large crockpot, place 2 quarts shredded zucchini
(I took mine from the freezer, the delightful fruit of summer harvest)
1 quart crushed tomatoes
(I had some diced tomatoes in the pantry that I pulse/chopped in the blender)
1 T salt
1 t black pepper
1 T chili powder
sautéed onions, peppers, mushrooms and garlic
(I think I did a large onion, about 2 c. chopped mushrooms, 1 large bell pepper, and 3 cloves garlic)
1 or 2 lb beef stew meat, browned
3 cups potatoes, cooked but not soft
4 cups carrots, cooked but not soft
 
Stir. Cook in slow cooker on low for 10-12 hours.
 
Enjoy with crusty whole wheat garlic bread and a plate of veggies and hummus.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to leave me a comment or a question. I enjoy interacting with my readers.