Wednesday, July 17, 2013

Kickstart Your Health 5

Gardening - vegetable

I am getting a little long in between posting menu ideas, but it is summer so please forgive me as I am busy weeding veggie and flower gardens, mulching and stringing tomatoes, harvesting zucchini and yellow summer squash, organizing freezers, cutting cilantro, dill and mint from my herb garden, enjoying red beets from my 'bit of earth', and picking bushels of green beans for winter's use.

Here is a plant-strong menu idea:

Breakfast:

Shredded Potato/Mushroom/Pepper/Onion and Garlic Scramble
Green Smoothie with ground chia and flax seeds

Lunch:

Strawberry and Spinach Salad
(layer spinach, sliced strawberries, pine nuts, red onion on a plate; drizzle with strawberry balsamic vinegar and walnut oil)

Baked Sweet Potato 'fries'
(peel sweet potatoes and cut into wedges. Layer onto a pan lightly sprayed with olive oil. Sprinkle with sea salt and chipotle pepper. Bake at 350* for 45 minutes or til done)

Supper:

Rainbow Salad
(layer chopped red and green cabbage, romaine, shredded carrots, diced red onion, chopped cilantro, broccoli, and diced tomatoes in this order in a glass baking dish or pretty glass bowl; serve with a low oil Italian dressing)

Rice and Beans
(in a baking dish place 2 c brown rice, 1 t salt, 1 t dried onion flakes, 1/2 t pepper, 1 rounded T taco seasoning mix without MSG-I use McCormick's brand. Add 4 c hot water, 1 T olive oil or butter to prevent grains from sticking together, and 1 quart black, red or pink beans. Bake at 350* for 1 hour or til done. I often do this in the crockpot on high for 4 hours)

Pineapple/Strawberry Medley

(fresh pineapple chunks and sliced, fresh strawberries; toss in a pretty bowl and serve)




2 comments:

  1. I saved your supper plan Thanx

    your cuz Rolands wife

    ReplyDelete
  2. Photos to go with the supper ?

    ReplyDelete

Feel free to leave me a comment or a question. I enjoy interacting with my readers.