Monday, August 19, 2013

Kickstart Your Health...Recipe

I have been silent for quite awhile lately and I apologize but I've been hosting several different sets of out-of-town guests and harvesting/preserving produce from my garden and have been kind of busy!

The other evening, we were hosting guests and I wanted to make an appealing, but plant-strong meal for us all. So here is what I came up with:


Black Beans and Pasta
 
Cook a 16 oz box of whole grain pasta
(mine was made from ancient grains; a 'salvage grocery store' find)
 
Drain and rinse.
 
Saute
2 medium to large onions, diced
1 large red or green bell pepper
2 cups diced brown mushrooms
(I often use baby bella mushrooms)
 
When veggies are soft, add 3 or 4 cloves garlic, pressed or minced
Toss and remove from heat.
 
Take a quart of black beans, add a quart of crushed tomatoes or
pasta sauce, and 1 rounded T taco seasoning mix. Stir well.
 
Toss all ingredients in a casserole dish.
Pour more pasta sauce over top, if needed or desired.
 
Sprinkle with a tiny bit of cheddar for flavor, optional.
Bake at 350* for about 1 hour or til heated through.
 
You can also freeze this casserole for a "convenience food"
on busy days.
 
Menu idea:
 
Black Beans and Pasta
Garden Salad
Green Beans
Melon Medley
(a mixture of cubed melons sprinkled with blueberries)
 
 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to leave me a comment or a question. I enjoy interacting with my readers.