Saturday, October 19, 2013

Chia Seeds...


I have been thinking of doing a post on chia seeds for awhile now, but one of my friends from Face Book put it so well that I decided to share what she wrote:

"There are fabulous health benefits associated with chia seeds, such as, they are incredibly nutritious, with significant concentrations of protein, fiber and several essential minerals. Just 1 tablespoon of chia seeds contains 5 grams of fiber, 3 grams of protein, 2282 mg of Omega 3 and 752 mg of Omega 6 fatty acids!
A significant concentration of fiber combined with their ability to absorb 10 times their weight in water also makes chia seeds excellent for maintaining regularity. With an amazing nutritional profile, mild flavor, and impressive versatility, it’s hard to think of a reason NOT to incorporate more of these super seeds into your diet! They make a great addition to smoothies. You can also use them as a thickener for puddings and sauces! Who would’ve thought alfredo sauce could have any healthy benefit? Well, it does now!

Chia seeds can also be combined with water to make a “chia egg” which is a gel-like mixture that’s perfect for a...king.

And now for my favorite health benefit, weight loss! Chia seeds help reduce food cravings by preventing some of the food that you eat from getting absorbed into your system. This blockage of calorie absorption makes them a great diet helper. They can also help your diet by making you feel full. This is because they absorb 10 times their weight in water, forming a bulky gel.

These are just a few of the many health benefits you can receive from chia seeds. Don’t wait, go to the health food store and start reaping the benefits now!"
 
I bought my chia seeds from Chia Seeds Direct and since they store well for years and years, I don't have to worry about the bulk amount I bought. I personally like using the ground chia seeds for baking and for mixing into my green smoothies. They help to make a green smoothie a meal that 'sticks to the ribs' for quite a while.
 
On another note: This blog is going to be 'quiet' for a good long while, as I will be quite busy with some other projects. So...maybe I'll be back here in December or January.
 
Have a happy, healthy autumn!
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to leave me a comment or a question. I enjoy interacting with my readers.