Tuesday, July 16, 2013

Food Is Fuel...

About 6 years ago, I was ill on many levels. High blood pressure. Overweight. Very little energy. Foggy brain. Sugar intolerance. Hormone issues.

I was sick and tired of being sick, but scared after I found a lump on my neck. Scared enough to get pushed to doing something radical.

Like change my diet from the Standard American Diet to a plant strong diet.
Like buy a juicer and juice veggies and fruits for myself.
Like make green smoothies in a VitaMix.
Like dramatically lowering dairy consumption in my home.
Like eating a salad at every meal.
Like eating a potato under my salad on meatless days.

I was a strange 'duck' to many and still am.
But that's ok. The results I got were so immediately blessed that I have been sold ever since!

Very shortly after being radical, I totally got rid of or drastically reduced every health issue I had.
6 years later, the ones that left are still gone, and the rest are following in steady pursuit.

I am so blessed to have been given the gift of Life and good Health.
The Garden truly does present life-giving substance!

But here's what I really wanted to say in this post:

As I was getting better, and learning that it makes total sense why this radical change worked (i.e. we have so many trillion cells in our bodies and every day thousands of them die, needing to be replaced by new ones. New, undiseased cells are a result of whole plant-food eating), it clicked:

Food is Fuel
 
Fruits and vegetables
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Why I had never made that connection before, I do not know! I am excited to know that when I put a forkful of plants into my mouth, I am blessing those new cells with clean fuel, and thus, participating in the science behind the facts: plants prevent disease, when eaten on a normal, consistent basis.
 
I was amazed to discover (having grown up a feed miller's daughter, and now a farmer's wife) that many people understand how to successfully formulate cow food but they do not understand the concept when it comes to people food! We understand that putting clean fuel into a vehicle will result in it running well and longer. But we don't seem to get it that people need clean fuel, too! How can these things be?
 
Maybe it's because we don't get it that food is fuel?
 
I am once again amazed and blessed to think of how 'fearfully and wonderfully' we are made, as David reiterated in Psalm 139. God our Creator has a perfect design. We mess it up so often in so many areas, including what we put into our mouths as food.
 
Food is fuel. Eat your plants and give glory to the One who created them and you!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to leave me a comment or a question. I enjoy interacting with my readers.