Saturday, July 16, 2016

Of Steaming Broccoli...

 "I wouldn't think there's a secret to steaming broccoli" was a comment posted on my Facebook post the other day when I said that I learned how to steam broccoli and someone asked if I'm going to share the secret. Melanie, maybe Italians just automatically steam perfect broccoli, but for this German Mennonite girl, I sure have struggled with steaming broccoli over the years!

I have often wondered why steakhouses seem to get their broccoli steamed to perfection. Not too crunchy, and definitely not mushy. Still bright green, not greenish yellow. But I didn't know how to steam it. Mine was anything but like the ones I was accustomed to ordering at steakhouses.

My sister taught me to order a sweet potato, steamed broccoli and grilled mushrooms and onions at a steakhouse restaurant when a restaurant was needed. Wise words from her. She has taught me alot in life and I am so glad she taught me this. So whenever I'm out and about and in need of a restaurant, I walk into places like Longhorn Steakhouse, Applebee's, or Chili's and know that I have something healthy to order.

SO...on to steaming broccoli like steakhouses do...The other day I was out on the road and I stopped at an Applebee's for lunch. I ordered my 'usual' and after it came out, I asked the clerk HOW they cook the broccoli so perfectly. She seemed amazed that I do not know how to cook broccoli properly but she graciously told me how.

First off, the broccoli at Applebee's is steamed in a bag with butter in a microwave. You can do that at your house if you would like, but I typically don't want the butter on it (at least not the amount they put on) and so I do my broccoli another way that the waitress told me how.

1. Start with RAW and not frozen broccoli. Wash it, cut it into the size pieces you want it and set it inside a metal colander or a steamer basket.

2. In a pot that fits your colander or steamer basket, place a small amount of water. Place the lid on the pot, and bring the water to a boil.

3. Place the colander or steamer basket into the kettle. Your broccoli should not be in water at all. Place the lid over the pot and steam for 5-7 minutes. Remove from  heat IMMEDIATELY and sprinkle with salt to serve.

4. I typically serve mine with 'grilled' mushrooms and onions. And a sweet potato on many occasions, too.

5. Enjoy!



No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to leave me a comment or a question. I enjoy interacting with my readers.